Stop Your Dog From Growling and Barking While on Walks
Walks with your dog should be among the best parts of your day – for you and for your dog. This is a chance to get some exercise and fresh air while spending quality time together. However, many dog owners are uneasy about walks. If your dog tends to growl or bark at other dogs during these walks, you might feel this way, too.
There is no sure-fire tip that will work for every dog, every time. You might need to explore more than one of the suggestions here before you find one that works well for you and for your dog. Here are some simple strategies that you can start with:
• Try a training collar – There are several different training collars available, so you should have no trouble finding exactly the right one. Refer to the manufacturer’s guidelines to select the right size for your dog.
• Try a no-pull harness – This item will keep your dog more responsive to your wishes. A harness can also help prevent lunging; this is especially important where large dogs or easily startled dogs are concerned.
• Use a fixed leash – Retractable leashes are convenient and easy to use, but they are not always ideal for discipline. Try a basic six foot leash instead.
• Switch from front walking to side walking – Training collars and harnesses can be used to condition your dog to walk at your side instead of in front. This arrangement makes for less exaggerated reactions to other dogs.
• Obedience classes – Among other things, these classes can teach your dog how to focus even in the presence of many distractions. Obedience training also teaches your dog how to listen and respond to your commands.
Better Walks for Everyone
Implementing one or more of these simple strategies can significantly improve your experience on daily walks. Whichever of these strategies you decide to try make sure to stick with it for several weeks. This will help you see whether or not the strategy is having the desired effect.
- Aeration Equipment
- Algae Control
- Aquariums & Furniture
- Books & Media
- Filter Media
- Food & Feeding Equipment
- Health Supplements & Medications
- Hi-Tech Department
- Maintenance Equipment
- Plant Care
- Plumbing & Replacement Parts
- Protein Skimmers
- Saltwater Mixes
- Temperature Control
- UV Sterilizers
- Water Pumps & Powerheads
- Water Testing Equipment
- Small Animals